Keyboards multiplatform communication helper for people with disabilities
New: You can now create and customize your keyboard using the software EditerLaParole , Which is the first company product Softetic I just created! You can also read my article in connection with that decision !
DonnerLaParole: What is it?
This is a software that allows to enter words and sentences easily and make them talk. Which is very useful for people with disabilities.
“DonnerLaParole” can be translated in “GiveTheWord” …
There are several key features:
- several input systems help you if you can’t easily access the computer:
- without any clicks, if you do not have enough strength or muscle coordination
- with a selection block mechanism, if you cannot move,
- with just the click of a mouse or a switch,
- with two contactors or 2 buttons if you want to access the buttons at your own pace
- a set of virtual keyboards:
- computer keyboard
- style keyboard phone
- a keyboard for sign language
- keyboard customizable icons
- a set of dictionaries to be able to quickly select words without having to enter all the letters (this is called predictive text input).
- a manager of common sentences, to avoid having to continually enter the same words and similar phrases.
- voice synthesizers, which will deliver the phrases or words typed in:
- the possibility of using voice as Virginia SAPI (Windows only)
- voices natively on Windows, Apple and Linux
- regionalization of the French language
- with the Canadian “accent”
- with the Belgian “accent”
- a composer of iconic sentences
- greater accessibility of the interface for those deprived of movement, particularly in settings
- system ready for monitoring the environment (or home automation) with
- the ability to send messages through serial port
- the ability to run programs on the user’s computer
- the ability to send requests to a server
Who tells me is it good?
This software has been recommended by News Network Technologies Association of Disability of France AND by the Federation of Aphasics of France . And during 4 years, without advertising it has been downloaded over 21,000 times … (yes that’s not a proof, I know )
Before answering the question, some history …
My family was faced with an unexpected and shocking event: one of my relatives had a brain haemorrhage, leaving her paraplegic, and with a very low residual mobility. In addition following a tracheotomy, it was impossible for her to communicate with us.
To help her overcome her disability and especially for her to regain contact with us, we looked for software solutions.
Everything we found was unsatisfactory, made of odds and ends, too expensive …
Hence the idea of developing what was missing.
DonnerLaParole is the result of this development.
We have enough troubles during this period of our life, if this can help even one person, so I’ll be happy.
For information, my aunt does not need this software now, since her word was found back and much of her mobility.
For all those who share this one day event (which I do not want anyone), I assure you of my support, especially never lose hope, spirit and body are clearly capable of extreme prowess. When there is life there is always a path toward the light …